About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Craft/ food story Developer, Writer & Photographer for Newspapers & Magazines. first Book on Quilts out March 2015 with @Interweave All images and content belong to Siobhan Rogers, if you would like to use my images please email me.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Strength in numbers - A community quilt



Earlier in the year a friend was diagnosed with Cancer.....

Cancer is one of those things I have experience in - not me personally - but Friends and family - Yes.

I think most of us have been touched by Cancer in some way.

Everyones experience is different but I think one thing is common - Nothing is ever the same.

With this in mind I asked a few friends if they would like to contribute to a quilt.
I wanted people to make a 12 inch block in a star pattern.
  
Word soon spread and I had 25 women able to participate.

I sent out a million emails with links, ideas, resources and patterns.

I had 3 sewing days at my house to help out the beginners - this entailed lots of laughing and mayhem. All good fun.

anyway a few months down the track and all is good with our friend - prognosis is great and she is all clear. 

We had a morning tea today to hand over the Community made quilt.

Made with much love and thought.

Friendship & Stars

Xx Siobhan















*A little note on construction

To tie in all the colourful blocks I framed each square in the light green cotton - this also helped with sizing up everyones blocks to the same 12 inches (everyones 1/4 inch seam is different!which then leads to 11.5 inch to 12.5 inch blocks).I also used the light green for binding.

I then sashed the blocks in a little floral Liberty of london print, to add to the vintage feel I used two different colours of the same liberty print. 

The quilt was long arm quilted in a Baptist fan by Kim Bradley.






























No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...